Your Food Business Can Help
Food businesses discarding or composting food that’s still wholesome and edible because of sell-by dates, surplus stock, or cosmetic damage can donate it to Food Gatherers. This zero-cost waste reduction solution benefits your business (Food Gatherers will provide documentation for tax purposes) and provides needed food to our community. Food Gatherers accepts many types of food, including time- and temperature-sensitive items (if handled appropriately), as well as non-food and personal hygiene items.
Warehouse Receiving Hours
Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.–3:00 p.m.
Smaller quantities of food can be dropped off at our warehouse (1 Carrot Way, Ann Arbor, MI 48105), Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.; drop-off is currently contactless. Please contact us if you would like more information on donating surplus food or to schedule a pick-up if you have a larger quantity.
Food Rescue Guidelines
- Produce: We really appreciate healthy fruits and vegetables! Uncut produce should be intact with no signs of mold, spoilage, or severe bruising. Cut produce should be labeled and in original packaging, on or before sell-by date on package, and refrigerated 41°F or lower. We cannot accept raw seed sprouts (like alfalfa or bean sprouts).
- Meats and Poultry: We prefer frozen meat, but can accept any meat in the original packaging, stored at 41°F or below, and donated or frozen by the sell-by date. Shell eggs should be in their original packaging and within 14 days of the sell-by date
- Fish/Shellfish: We accept only frozen fish and shellfish, in the original packaging.
- Dairy and eggs: We accept unopened milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, eggs, etc., within 7 days of the sell-by date, stored at or below 41°F.
- Baked Goods: We accept baked goods from licensed kitchens in original packaging, labeled with ingredients and allergens, within 5 days of sell-by date. Loose baked goods must be packaged in sealed food-grade packaging — individually wrapped is preferred.
- Prepared Foods: We accept prepared foods not previously served to the public (buffet/family style). Items must be properly packaged, stored at 41°F or lower, frozen or donated on or before the sell-by date, with a full list of ingredients and allergens.
- Deli Products: We accept deli products from licensed kitchens (salads, entrees, sandwiches) in their original unopened containers, stored at or below 41°F, frozen or donated on or before the sell-by date, with a full list of ingredients and allergens.
- Canned and dry goods: We accept unopened canned and dry goods, in original packaging with ingredients and allergens, in good condition (no dents, bulging or rust), within 6 months of the use-by date.