More Resources

Food assistance and community resources

Click on the + sign to expand each menu and learn more about federal, state, and local resources for food and other basic needs.

For assistance getting help or learning more about services in your community, call 2-1-1 or visit the Michigan 2-1-1 website. This is a free service that connects Michigan residents with help and answers from thousands of health and human services agencies and resources right in their communities, with operators available in 180+ different languages.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the federal food assistance program and the first line of defense against hunger. SNAP benefits are deposited onto a “Bridge Card” every month to be used for purchasing food items at most grocery stores, convenience stores, and farmer’s markets.


Need help signing up for SNAP?

  • Reach out to Food Gatherers if you want to schedule an in-person appointment for application assistance. We can also help answer questions if you’re doing the online application yourself. Call 734-761-2796 and ask for Rolanda, or email
  • Call or visit the Department of Human Services (DHS) (1-855-275-6424 or 22 Center St., Ypsilanti, MI 48198).
  • Contact local agencies (list below) for help with your application.
  • Call the Food and Other Resources (F.O.R.) Helpline managed by the Food Bank Council of Michigan (1-888-544-8773)
  • Visit Michigan Legal Help for more resources to help you apply or information about denial or termination of benefits.

Partner Agencies with Regular Assistance Hours (more online here):


Hope Medical Clinic, appt. only, 734-484-2989

Ann Arbor

Bryant Community Center, appt. only, 734-477-0292, 3 West Eden Ct.


Saline Area Social Services, appt. only, 734-429-4570


Faith in Action, appt. only, 734-475-3305

Chelsea Senior Center (serves all ages in Chelsea School District) by appt. for one-on-one help, 734-475-9242; walk-in Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m.⁠–4:00 p.m.


Aid in Milan, appt. only, 734-439-8420, 89 W. Main St.


Manchester Community Resource Center, appt. only, 734-428-7722

South Lyon School District (includes parts of Novi, Northville, New Hudson, Wixom, Northville & Green Oak Twp.)

Active Faith, Monday, Wednesday & Thursday, 10:00 a.m.⁠–5:00 p.m., 248-437-9790

Important Note: If you schedule a meeting or plan on visiting a site to sign up for benefits, please bring as much of the following documentation as possible. If you do not have the necessary documents, the application process may be delayed.


  • Proof of identification and immigration status
  • Social Security numbers for all members applying
  • Proof of income (before taxes) for the last 30 days for all member applying
  • Proof of housing and utility expenses
  • Proof of Unearned Income (Social Security, retirement, disability, child support, etc.)
  • Proof of medical expenses
  • Proof of childcare/dependent care costs
Double Up Food Bucks

Double Up Food Bucks gets you more fruits and vegetables when you spend your SNAP Bridge Card dollars at participating farmers markets. For example, if you spend $10 from your Bridge Card at a participating farmers market, you will receive another $10 to buy fresh fruits and vegetables grown in Michigan. Learn more and find participating locations here.

WIC (Women, Infants and Children)

The Washtenaw County WIC office provides supplemental nutrition support for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, infants, and children up to five years of age.

Community Resources

Basic needs and human services: Michigan 2-1-1 is a free service that connects people with essential human services — including elderly services, family support, and displaced workers. Simply dial “2-1-1”, call 866-953-HELP, or text your zip code to 898211.

Domestic Violence: SafeHouse Center provides safety, support, advocacy, and resources for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence and their children. Call 734-995-5444 for help.

Emergency financial assistance:  Barrier Busters is a group of 90+ social service agencies committed to improving services for Washtenaw County residents in need. Funds are available to prevent evictions and utility shut-offs, and assist with emergency costs that threaten housing and financial stability.

Housing and homelessness: Housing Access for Washtenaw County (HAWC) is Washtenaw’s central intake for individuals and families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. For housing assistance, information, and/or referrals, call 734-961-1999.

Mental Health Services: Community Mental Health offers 24/7 phone services and mobile crisis services to any Washtenaw County Resident. Call 734-544-3030.

Mutual aid: The Washtenaw County Mutual Aid + Resources Facebook Group is available to offer and ask for resources/needs to be met and to share information in the spirit of mutual aid.

Pet food assistance: Humane Society of Huron Valley (HSHV) Bountiful Bowls program assists Washtenaw County and Plymouth residents with pet food. Apply for assistance online or call HSHV at 734-662-4365.