Additional Food Resources

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the federal food assistance program and the first line of defense against hunger. SNAP benefits are deposited onto a “Bridge Card” every month to be used for purchasing food items at most grocery stores, convenience stores, and farmer’s markets.


Need help signing up for SNAP?

  • Reach out to Food Gatherers if you want to schedule an in-person appointment for application assistance. We can also help answer questions if you’re doing the online application yourself. Call 734-761-2796 and ask for Rolanda, or email
  • Call or visit the Department of Human Services (DHS) (1-855-275-6424 or 22 Center St., Ypsilanti, MI 48198).
  • Contact local agencies (list below) for help with your application.
  • Call the Food and Other Resources (F.O.R.) Helpline managed by the Food Bank Council of Michigan (1-888-544-8773)
  • Visit Michigan Legal Help for more resources to help you apply or information about denial or termination of benefits.

Partner Agencies with Regular Assistance Hours (more online here):


Hope Medical Clinic, appt. only, 734-484-2989

Ann Arbor

Bryant Community Center, appt. only, 734-477-0292, 3 West Eden Ct.


Saline Area Social Services, appt. only, 734-429-4570


Faith in Action, appt. only, 734-475-3305

Chelsea Senior Center (serves all ages in Chelsea School District) by appt. for one-on-one help, 734-475-9242; walk-in Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m.⁠–4:00 p.m.


Aid in Milan, appt. only, 734-439-8420, 89 W. Main St.


Manchester Community Resource Center, appt. only, 734-428-7722

South Lyon School District (includes parts of Novi, Northville, New Hudson, Wixom, Northville & Green Oak Twp.)

Active Faith, Monday, Wednesday & Thursday, 10:00 a.m.⁠–5:00 p.m., 248-437-9790

Important Note: If you schedule a meeting or plan on visiting a site to sign up for benefits, please bring as much of the following documentation as possible. If you do not have the necessary documents, the application process may be delayed.


  • Proof of identification and immigration status
  • Social Security numbers for all members applying
  • Proof of income (before taxes) for the last 30 days for all member applying
  • Proof of housing and utility expenses
  • Proof of Unearned Income (Social Security, retirement, disability, child support, etc.)
  • Proof of medical expenses
  • Proof of childcare/dependent care costs
Double Up Food Bucks

Double Up Food Bucks gets you more fruits and vegetables when you spend your SNAP Bridge Card dollars at participating farmers markets. For example, if you spend $10 from your Bridge Card at a participating farmers market, you will receive another $10 to buy fresh fruits and vegetables grown in Michigan. Learn more and find participating locations here.

Pet Food Assistance

Humane Society of Huron Valley (HSHV) Bountiful Bowls program assists Washtenaw County and Plymouth residents with pet food. Apply for assistance online or call HSHV at 734-662-4365.

WIC (Women, Infants and Children)

The Washtenaw County WIC office provides supplemental nutrition support for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, infants, and children up to five years of age.

More Community Resources

Visit our Community Resources page for information on non-food-related resources such as housing, mental health services, and financial assistance.